As we reach the end of 2016, we’re sad to say goodbye to a year of 75th anniversary activities and events. We spent the year celebrating our anniversary with a number of activities, events, and celebrations.
At the office:
UNP staff received loads of fun 75th anniversary swag this year, including coffee mugs, coasters, t-shirts, tote bags, note pads, and pens.
UNP also produced the publication Big House on the Prairie: 75 Years of the University of Nebraska Press, which features a narrative of press highlights, profiles of key historical employees, and lists of its 75 most significant books, 30 journals, and 75 most noteworthy book covers.
On the blog:
- Staff Stories: Publicists Anna Weir and Tayler Lord interviewed a number of their more experienced co-workers to get a sense of the last 75 years at the Press
- 75 Significant Books: The staff selected 75 of the 4,000 books UNP has published since 1941 to represent what is most distinctive and significant about our list. Each month, we shared titles from that list.
- Remembering…: We shared profiles of six of the most influential people in the Press’s history taken from the Press history, Big House on the Prairie.
In the community:
- Last fall, we held a literary contest for undergraduate college students and high school seniors in Nebraska. Students submitted works of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. The winning submissions were published in an anthology called Voices of Nebraska: Diverse Landscapes, Diverse Peoples. You can read more about the contest winners and anthology here.
- We hosted bookstore takeovers at A Novel Idea Bookstore, Indigo Bridge Books, and the University of Nebraska Bookstore.
- We also held Meet the Press events during bookstore takeover weeks, during which guests were invited to meet members of the UNP staff and learn more about publishing.
- We hosted an event at Kaneko in Omaha that featured a reading by Ted Kooser, to showcase our 75 iconic covers as well as some of our Bison classics.
- A rotating exhibit of our 75 iconic covers were displayed at the Great Plains Art Museum as part of their First Friday events.
- Other iconic covers were hung at the Caffina Café in the UNL Union in the summer and during University Press Week in November.
- Lincoln City Libraries displayed the Nebraska 150 books in the Jane Pope Geske Heritage Room of Nebraska Authors at Bennett Martin Library. More than a third of the 150 books on the reading list were published by UNP.
To send the year out on a festive note, we threw ourselves a 75th birthday party! We invited authors, university leaders, former staff, and members of Lincoln’s literary community to celebrate with us.
Thanks to all who helped us celebrate this special year. Here’s to the next 75!